A wholesome juicing detox would ideally consist of not only fruit juices, but also vegetable juice (preferably from seeds or green leafy vegetables like alfalfa, watercress, spinach, etc.) The addition of some supplements like herbs can further increase the nutritional value and flavor of any juice recipe. Here are the top superfoods for juicing that you can mix and match to create flavorsome and nutritious recipes for a successful juice. Let’s detox your body naturally.
~ SuperFoods for Juicing ~
Top Superfoods for Juicing
Juicing retains the nutrients in foods that would normally be destroyed when cooked or processed. If you are sure that your body can handle in living for a week on juices, herbal teas and water, juice fasting would be the best method to detox.
Green, Yellow and Red Vegetables
- Spinach, avocado, pumpkin, celery, carrot etc have Vitamins C, K, iron and calcium in abundance. They make the best bases for juices due to their high antioxidant properties.
- Beets and Alfalfa are good for cleaning up your gall bladder and regularizing your bowel movements.
- Radish and Kale are well known natural remedies for respiratory problems like catarrh.
- Cabbage is very effective for digestive disorders and works wonders for both your weight as well as your skin.
- Watercress (an other green leaf veggies) is an effective diuretic that cleanses your system and helps avoid fluid retention. It also provides perfect nutrition for shiny hair.
Fruits Rich in Nutrients
- Apples and pineapples make a great addition to any juice recipe not only for their nutrients and anti-oxidant properties, but also for their sheer taste that makes an otherwise unpalatable mix tasty and satisfying.
- Citrus fruits are high in ascorbic acid which is good for boosting your immune system and fighting cancer.
- Tart tasting berries like cranberries and blueberries are also excellent diuretics that flush out toxins from your digestive tract.
- Grapes cleanse and purify the blood by stimulating the liver as well as the bowels.
- Yellow fruits like mango and papaya are good for the intestines and excellent natural bowel simulators.
- Pomegranates are extremely rich in antioxidants and help purify the blood. They are a must for clear and glowing skin.
- Watermelon packs a big punch of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and amino acids. It is a natural blood cooler.
Herbs and Spices
Homegrown herbs add a boost of flavor and are easy to include in a juice recipe.
- Thyme is an officially approved remedy for upper respiratory infections including headaches, asthma and cold symptoms beside adding taste to any juice.
- Mint counteracts with the bitterness of most green vegetables and aids in digestion too.
- Fresh cilantro and parsley leaves relieve digestive problems and also help slow the ageing process.
- Anise helps remove gas and resultant bloating from the stomach.
- Cayenne Pepper helps the absorption of nutrients by improving circulation and transportation of all nutrients to every tissue.
- Sage has refreshing properties and is also ideal for sore throats.
In addition to these super effective foods, some more diet additions to your juicing detox plan will ensure optimum results.
Flowers with medicinal properties are commonly used for juicing.
- Echinacea or coneflower is very effective for upper respiratory infections and a very detox agent. Dandelions, on the other hand, are mild diuretics and very rich in beta-carotene.
- Whole milk is rich in protein and gives your body wholesome nutrition during the detox.
- Wheatgrass juice is very rich in many beneficial enzymes which help prevent cancer and build blood.
Get some fabulous healthy superfood juicer recipes here.